A Writer's Ramblings
Writing | Books | General Shenanigans
Monthly Emails Full of Writerly Fun
Wow, there is so much stuff going on. I’m having trouble keeping track of it so I thought I would take a moment to update you on everything happening right now and everything coming down the pike.
1. I am honored to be participating as an editor in Pitch to Publication 2016! If you’re not familiar with the contest, here are the basics: Writers submit completed manuscripts to editors, who choose one or two to work with. After five weeks of intense editing, the manuscripts go to the agent round, in which (fingers crossed) full requests happen! This really is a fantastic contest, and I can’t thank Samantha Fountain enough for putting it together. I’ll be doing an #AskEditor session on Twitter, along with #tenqueries. More about those to come. (Update: My #AskEditor sessions will be October 18 at 12 a.m. and October 20 at 11 a.m. EST.) Keep an eye on #p2p16 for the latest updates, and don't forget to follow all the editors!
2. If you have a horror story or novel in need of editing, now is the time! I’m offering 10% off proofreading, copy editing, or substantive editing on horror pieces of any length until Halloween. If you’ve got something that fits the bill, check out my editing services or shoot me an email.
1. I am back in the weight room! If you've read my concussion story, you know how big of a deal that is. At my worst, I couldn't even stand up. At my best, I would try to walk to class and get stuck in the middle of campus, unable to move. I made a lot of phone calls from halfway up or down the stairs--Um, I'm stuck on the stairs again. Can you help me? My muscles atrophied, and I went from squatting my bodyweight for reps to being unable to do a pushup from my knees. Since June, I've lost fifteen pounds and am back to running seven miles every morning. And as of a few days ago, I'm back to lifting! My max weights are lighter than my warm-up sets used to be, but I'm getting stronger! And I'll keep getting stronger, in all areas of my life.
2. Did you catch my pledgeto go technology-free for one hour a day? I've been sticking to that. And let me tell you, it's working. I feel more relaxed and more productive. Each night, I've put my phone on silent and out of reach and snuggled up with a nice, print book. I'm sleeping better, and my mind is more at ease. If you have issues breaking from technology, and you haven't tried this, I seriously suggest it.
3. Lastly, I am applying to graduate programs! Hopefully, by this time next year, I'll be enrolled in an MFA Creative Writing program. Fingers crossed!
Phew, that's what's going on in my life. What's happening in yours?
Leave me an update in the comments!